Friday, July 24, 2009

Fearless Friday- Angel Food Cake



This week was my husbands birthday and his favorite cake is angel food cake. I did not have a box of it on hand, but did have all the ingredients to make it from scratch. I have tried this one other time and it was a flop, well not even a flop as it did not even rise to the occasion. This time I made it while a few of the kids were down for their naps and really took my time. It turned out wonderful this time, I would have a picture, but it was gone before I knew it. It was the type of spongy cake that melted in your mouth. My one son ate four pieces, without the cream... he has never eaten cake with out cream or frosting.

This adventure was all good and dandy, but now what do I do with the 12 egg yolks in my fridge? I went through a few cookbooks and looked on-line and then well decided to just wing it. I made some Oven French Toast. I started it in the morning by cutting up a loaf of French bread. I then melted a stick of butter and poured it into the bottom of the baking dish (I could have gotten away with 1/2 of a stick, will know for next time). I them mixed together the 12 egg yolks, about 1.5-2 cups of milk, a cup of sugar and about 2 teaspoons of vanilla. I dipped each slice of bread into the egg mixture and placed it in the pan. After I poured the rest of the egg mixture over the top of the slices, covered it with plastic and put it in the oven. About 40 minutes before we wanted to eat I took the dish out and let is rest on the counter while the oven was preheating to 375 degrees. I then let it bake for 30 minutes and served it with hot syrup. Again no pictures, it just did not look pretty.

No comments: